Wednesday 10 May 2017

A grungy cover for my writing practice

Hello friends, today I have another journal cover to share, created with the fabulous Eileen Hull journal die. This one has turned out very grungy, unlike my more feminine Japan travel journal
I love this die, it is the perfect size to hold my midori style inserts that I love creating, and this one will hold the inserts in which I practice my brushpen calligraphy.
Here you can see how the cover came together,sand texture through various stencils and then loads of layers of paint, a mix of Paper Artsy Frescos and Distress Paints. I wanted to create a sort of worn leather look with a touch of rust and patina
Some writing related embellishments made with some Sizzix Mover and Shaper dies, and of course a pen nib for good measure.
And here the finished cover with a couple of home made inserts inside. I created a holder for my brush pen, that also forms the closure for the journal. It is based on an idea I saw online on the new Prima travel journals.
My pen holder is made out of 3 layers of Tim Holtz Grunge Board that I glued together and threaded the elastic through. No doubt leather would have been better, but I don't have any and this works perfectly as a closure and I think will stand up to quite a bit of wear and tear.

A couple of close ups of my embellishments and  the spine. I strung some beads through one of the elastics and also added a charm.

Below I will also show you some of the pages of my inserts. I have done them junk journal style again, and included many lined pages printed on super smooth paper for my writing practice.
I added lots of tuck spots and pretty tags here and there. I do most of my practice on loose drill sheets, but for a change it will be much more fun the write some quotes and sayings on decorated pages. This way I can also look back on how I improve...



This tuck spot/side pocket holds not only some tags, but also a separate booklet for further practice.
I love these junk journal style inserts, they are not only fun to do, but also are the perfect way to use up all those scraps we all hoard away, and I just love the size of these, - large enough to actually use, yet small enough to carry around.

Finally, I don't very often play in challenges anymore, but decided to link this to Art Journal Journey where the theme this month is Elegance and Grunge.

Before signing off, I just want to say a huge big thank you to my friend Anne for sending me the die cuts for this cover, while I wait for my own die to arrive. Thank you so much Anne, you are the best!!!

Well that's it for today, - thank you for your visit and have a great week.
xxxxx

25 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic journal cover Astrid. Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

Brenda Brown said...

How wonderfully grungy with amazing texture and the perfect little embellishments, this is fabulous my friend xxx

chrissie said...

Amazing textures and wonderful colours for the outside of this journal Astrid and very beautiful pages inside.

Love Chrissie xx

froebelsternchen said...

One of a kind extraordinary beautiful and it melts my journal-heart!
You definiteley have to link it to ELEGANCE and GRUNGE over at
ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY-CHALLENGE
that would make my melted journal heart heal again!
Happy rest of the week Astrid!
oxo
Susi

Gitte said...

Awesome.

Meggymay said...

Oh Wow, this is stunning. Love the grunge and texture and of course the great inserts.
Yvonne xx

Dorthe said...

Yes, dear Astrid, so wonderfully grungy, rusty and beautiful, and I love your decorated pages, and the booklet , everything just gorgeous . xoxo

froebelsternchen said...

♥♥♥ A big THANK YOU dear Astrid!
oxo Susi

SewPaperPaint said...

Wow oh wow oh wow! Let me pick my jaw up off the floor, ahem. YES!!! This is fantastic and wonderfully colored and textured. The leather pen holder steals my heart! I adore your gorgeous elements and grungy textures so much. Absolute showstopper! Thanks so much for all of the details. Hugs, Autumn

Hazel Agnew said...

I am almost lost for words Astrid, this is a total triumph. Love everything about it and the closure is so clever. Adore it! Xx

Redanne said...

Astrid, your journal is just gorgeous, inside and out! The grungy exterior is so full of colour and texture and that pen holder is just fantastic. I feel inspired to create another journal now! Thanks for your very kind shout out - that's what friends are for! Hugs, Anne xx

Helen Wallace said...

A rich and beautifully texture cover. It looks as though it could have been a found item in a medieval castle. Gorgeous deep colours with the verdigris looking highlights. "Sigh" just made for copperplate or calligraphy writing. The aged inserts are the perfect pages to complement your lovely cover.

Maryann Laursen said...

Totally amazing work here once again Astrid. Your notebook is simply stunning work to the last detail sweet lady. Thanks so much for all your awesome inapiration here always.

Christiane Courtin-Mangez said...

Amazing, really I'm in love +++++++++++++ so much

Hugs from france Astrid !!! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

sarascloset said...

Astrid, you have certainly put your "stamp" on this little journal with those amazing textures of yours that I oh, so love. The rich patina is perfect and your pages inviting to write in. I'm sure this is going to be used quite often! I know I would want to be picking it up every day! Love this!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, your journal is amazing! You have created so much beautiful details both inside and out, I love the worn leather look with a hint of patina you created on the cover and the inside pages will look even more magical when you add your calligraphy! I'd be so excited to write in a book like this 😊. Nice to meet you at AJJ and wishing you a great week! J 😀

Gerrina said...

Wow what a great journal! Think this is one that will be taken out and looked at so often; it realy invites you to do so!

Words and Pictures said...

I love this grungy beauty - this must feel so fantastic in the hands with all that intricate texture under the fingertips. The grungeboard penholder is brilliant - I thought it was leather at first glance - so clever. The pages inside are clearly ready to play... I'm off to see whether I've missed some of your brushpen calligraphy. If not, I hope you'll share some soon!
Alison x

Sandy said...

Can I just copy what everyone else has said! Astrid you are so dang talented and I love both of your journals. The Japanese one is so delicate looking and this is the complete opposite. I do love the way you design your pages - fantastic!!!!
Sandy xx

Annie said...

Oh Wow !!! I so love this Astrid xxx Your journal covers and pages are just so stunning xxxx The style is right up my street...fabulously grungy !!!

Love it !!!
Annie xxxx

maria's knutselplezier said...

wow Astrid what a gorgious masterpiece,I just love all the beautiful details, the front page is fantastic with all the structure and the differant elements, super!!
Have fun!
Maria

Gibby Frogett said...

Wow! what a stunning ( and beautifully grungy) project this is - I am going to look for those Sizzix dies next :)
Thank you so much for joining in at AJJ I really appreciate it.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend..
Liebe Grüße Gill

Tone K. said...

So beautiful!! Really great work :)

Jackie PN said...

I so love this grungy cover!!! Perfect dies to use Astrid!!
Jackie xo

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! This is one amazing journal! So beautiful Astrid! Chrisx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key